Iowa Academy of Science
Excellence in Science Teaching Awards
Nominations are accepted continuously throughout the year.
The submission deadline each year is January 31st.
The ESTA awards are presented at the Iowa Academy of Science Annual Meeting in April. There are seven categories:
- Earth/Space Science/Environmental Science
- Elementary Science*
- General/Multiple Science (integrated science, interdisciplinary courses, multiple preps)
- Life Science (biology, anatomy/physiology, life science)
- Middle School/Junior High Science
- Physical Science (physics, chemistry, and physical science)
- Science Supervisory (District, private, AEA, museum, naturalist, etc.)
* Up to two awards may be presented annually for Elementary Science. One award may be presented in the other categories.
The winners of the ESTAs receive a plaque and a check for $200. The awards are presented at the IAS Annual Meeting in April. Learn more about the ESTAs and about making a nomination by downloading a brochure and following the directions below.
How to Nominate
Read the ESTA Brochure.
Notify the nominee of your intent to submit a nomination/letter of support. Refer the nominee to this webpage to submit their nomination materials.
Write the letter of nomination/support.
The fastest and easiest way to submit nomination materials and letters of support is to link to the ESTA nomination page below. The form guides you through the process. However, if you prefer, nomination materials listed in the ESTA Brochure may also be submitted by mail. Send them to: ESTA Program, Iowa Academy of Science, BRC 50, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614-0508. If you have questions please call the IAS office at 319-273-2021.
Follow up with your nominee to be sure their part of the nomination process has been completed.
Nominations submitted after the deadline will be considered the following year.
ESTA Online Nomination Form
Nominators, nominees, and those providing letters of support click on the button.
Refresh Your Nomination Materials
Nominees not selected in their first year of eligibility are automatically reconsidered the following year. Nominees may refresh all or part of their nomination materials by using the ESTA Refresh Form below. After the second year a completely new nomination must be submitted to be considered for an ESTA again.