Contents of this page:
STEP 1: Submission Notices
STEP 2: Submit an Abstract
STEP 3: How to present at the IAS Annual Meeting
Iowa Academy of Science Abstract Submission Form
132nd IAS Annual Meeting
April 17 - 18, 2020
2507 University Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa
Abstracts must be 200 words or less.
Please contact the Executive Director at 319-273-2581 for more information.
Abstract Submission Deadline:
February 19, 2020
Only a Section Chair may accept abstracts after the submission deadline. Contact the IAS office if you have questions.
STEP 1: Notices
Primary authors receive all notices regarding the abstract status. Secondary authors do not receive notices.
Primary authors must read all communications from IAS and communicate with secondary authors.
Primary authors are responsible for the Abstract Fee. Fees are charged after the abstract is accepted.
Primary authors receive a special (lower) rate. The Abstract Fee is the registration fee for primary authors.
Secondary authors pay the normal registration fee based on membership status.
Primary authors will be notified if the abstract has been accepted and will be reminded of the fee due date.
If the Abstract Fee is not paid by the due date the presentation at the Annual Meeting will be cancelled and the abstract will not appear in the Proceedings or in the Journal of the Iowa Academy of Science.
Primary authors are expected to communicate abstract and conference information to secondary authors.
IAS Members pay a reduced registration fee. If you are not a member please consider joining IAS to support Iowa’s general science organization and help promote science research, science education, and the public understanding of science in Iowa.
How to Present at the IAS Annual Meeting
Primary presenters register for the Annual Meeting at a reduced rate. Additional authors register at the normal rate. The IAS website at www.scienceiniowa.org accepts abstracts, provides an advance program guide to the meeting and includes directions, schedules, lodging information, and a campus map. If you have questions please contact the IAS office staff. Office phone is 319-273-2021. Executive Director 319-273-2581.
1. Abstracts are submitted online at www.scienceiniowa.org/ias-abstract-submission
2. Abstracts must be 200 words or less.
3. Abstracts must be submitted by the deadline.
4. Presenters must choose to do an oral or poster presentation, not both.
Poster Presentations - Posters are presented on Friday.
1. Poster dimensions are limited to a maximum size of 4’ wide by 4’ high all on a single poster board.
2. Posters larger than 4’ x 4’ cannot be accepted as the display easels cannot accommodate larger
3. Posters will be mounted to boards using T-pins. The Academy provides mounting supplies.
4. Posters may be mounted beginning at 2:30 p.m.
5. Posters will be on display from 4:30 until 5:45 p.m.
6. One of the presenting authors is expected to be at the poster to answer questions throughout the session.
7. Posters may be left on display until Noon on Saturday.
Primary presenters register for the Annual Meeting at a reduced rate. Additional authors register at the normal rate. The IAS website at www.scienceiniowa.org accepts abstracts, provides an advance program guide to the meeting and includes directions, schedules, lodging information, and a campus map.
Oral Presentations - Oral presentations are made on Saturday
1. Oral presentations are 20 minutes, generally 12 – 15 minutes for the presentation and 5 minutes for questions.
2. Presentation rooms usually have all necessary Windows based A/V equipment including a computer and
projector. PowerPoint programs may be brought on a thumb drive. Apple/Mac users should bring proper
connecting equipment. Please read A/V instructions as provided by the Academy office or call with questions. It
is up to you to verify that your equipment will work.
3. When you arrive check in at the registration desk to pick up your badge, room assignment and schedule.
4. The purpose of a scientific meeting is to exchange information and ideas. Please attend your section meeting
and support your fellow presenters.