IJAS Science Symposium
Abstract Submission and Registration Page
Advance Registration Deadline: April 17, 2018
Scroll down to submit abstracts and register.
The IJAS Science Symposium is co-sponsored by the Iowa Space Grant Consortium and the Iowa Academy of Science. Funding from the ISGC and IAS supports free registration to the IJAS Science Symposium, IAS Annual Meeting, and the IJAS Awards Luncheon for IJAS teachers, students, and accompanying adults.
87th IJAS Science Symposium
April 26, 2019
Schindler Education Center
University of Northern Iowa
IJAS attendees may attend all sessions of the Iowa Academy of Science Annual Meeting. There will be an extra charge if you attend the President’s Dinner Friday evening or the Box Lunch Saturday Noon. Please contact the IAS office if yo want to participate in either of these meals.
STEP 1 of 4 - General Information
The Iowa Junior Academy of Science at the IAS Annual Meeting
The Iowa Junior Academy of Science (IJAS) Annual Meeting is held as part of the Friday events at the Iowa Academy of Science (IAS) Annual Meeting. Middle and high school students present science research during the morning and participate in special IJAS events through mid-afternoon. The atmosphere is friendly and allows students to meet Iowa scientists and other science students from different disciplines. Students sample general sessions, symposiums, and professional research presentations, giving them a taste of the many opportunities available in a variety of disciplines. An IAS Annual Meeting is a unique opportunity. We welcome IJAS students.
IJAS STARR Research Grant recipients are automatically eligible to present their research at the Annual Meeting.
IJAS students who have presented at an approved regional science fair or the State Science and Technology Fair of Iowa are also invited to the IJAS Science Symposium.
IJAS students completing research with a partnership such as the FESIRSE Program or the State Hygienic Laboratory are invited to the IJAS Science Symposium after presenting at an approved regional or the State Science and Technology Fair of Iowa.
IJAS School Members: Students who attend an IJAS member school are registered as a school group.
IJAS Individual Member: Students who are individual members of IJAS. These students are typically home-schooled or who attend a school that has not joined IJAS.
STEP 2 of 4 - Conference Meals
Attending the conference luncheons and banquet are a great way to discuss the events of the day and connect with conference attendees and speakers. All meals include vegetarian options.
The Friday IJAS Luncheon is free for IJAS students, teachers, sponsors, and accompanying adults due to the generous support of the Iowa Space Grant Consortium and the Iowa Academy of Science. You must register to receive your meal ticket.
Your registration for the IJAS Science Symposium entitles you to attend all of the IAS Annual Meeting. If you choose to attend either the President's Banquet or the Saturday Luncheon you will need to purchase meal tickets.
STEP 3 of 4 - IJAS Photo Release Form
The Iowa Academy of Science would like permission to use photos of IJAS students for press releases and other promotional activities. If you agree please download the photo release form below and have it signed. You may return it one of three ways:
1. Scan and upload it online using the Upload Form below.
2. Return it by mail to the IAS office.
3. Turn it in at the IAS Registration Desk when you arrive at the meeting.
STEP 4 of 4 - IJAS Registration/Abstract Submission
Advance Registration Deadline: Wednesday, April 17, 2019
Registration for IJAS school delegations, individual members, teachers, sponsors, or accompanying adults.
IJAS registration includes the Friday Noon Luncheon
if you are part of an IJAS school delegation or are an individual member of IJAS.
There are two ways for students, teachers and accompanying adults to register:
1. As part of a school delegation
2. As an Individual Member
1. School Delegations include students, teachers, sponsors, or other accompanying adults who are part of the delegation. Schools may register everyone in their delegation or they may ask each member of the delegation to register individually. Before registering check with your IJAS school representative to determine if the school will be registering you or you are expected to register yourself.
If your school is registering its entire delegation you do not need to register. If your school asks you to register yourself please use the IJAS School Delegation Form below.
2. Individual IJAS Members and their accompanying adults:
1. Skip down to the Individual Member Registration Form found under the School Delegation form below.
If you plan to attend part or all of the IAS Annual Meeting please indicate which meals you want. You will be contacted by the IAS office staff for payment.
IJAS Registration/Abstract Submission Forms
IJAS School Delegation
Registration/Abstract Submission Form
Advance Registration and Abstract Submission Deadline is Wednesday, April 17, 2019
Deadline for students attending without having an abstract published is April 17, 2019.
IMPORTANT: Please read the instructions carefully. This form is for students, teachers, sponsors, or other accompanying adults attending the conference as part of a school delegation. Before filling out the form determine who is responsible for registering you; the school, a parent or guardian, or you.
Directions for filling out the School Delegation Form
1. Before filling out this form please determine if your school is registering the entire delegation or is asking you to register individually. If attending as an Individual IJAS Member use the Individual Member Registration form found below this form.
2. The form prompts you to make correct entries. Be sure to read the directions for each item.
3. At the end of the form you are asked to fill in the contact email address of the school delegation leader. Please have this address ready before you start the form. It is required. The leader receives an email confirming each registration submission.
4. Double check your entries for accuracy. Your entries are used to print name badges and are included in the IAS printed Proceedings distributed to all registered attendees.
5. Read the Advance Program Guide to learn more about the conference. The guide is updated as we approach the meeting.
6. Contact the IAS office is you wish to attend meals other than the IJAS Luncheon.
IJAS Individual Member
Registration/Abstract Submission Form
Advance Registration and Abstract Submission Deadline is Wednesday, April 10, 2019
Deadline for students attending without having an abstract published is April 14, 2019.
This form accepts registrations from IJAS Individual Members and an accompanying adult. Your registration fee is waived because of support provided by the Iowa Space Grant Consortium and the Iowa Academy of Science.
Students and accompanying adults who are part of a school delegation DO NOT use this form. Students using this form are usually home schooled, attend a school that is not an IJAS member, or are working individually through another organization.
Directions for filling out the Individual Member Form
1. The form prompts you to make correct entries. Follow the form step-by-step and be sure to read the directions for each item.
2. Double check your entries for accuracy. Some of the entries are used to print name badges and are included in the printed IAS Proceedings distributed to all registered attendees.
3. Read the Advance Program Guide to learn more about the conference. You are eligible to attend part or all of the IAS Annual Meeting.
4. Contact the IAS office is you wish to attend the President's Banquet or the ESTA Luncheon.