Serve as a Reviewer or Associate Editor for the
Journal of the Iowa Academy of Science
Scroll Down to Volunteer
The type of manuscripts needing review, description of positions available, and a volunteer form are found below.
Manuscripts accepted by the Journal
The Journal accepts manuscripts in the following areas:
- Scientific research for peer-review
- The Iowa Science Teaching Section (ISTS) Journal articles on science teaching techniques including experiments, laboratory exercises, lecture demonstrations, etc.
- Articles of general interest
- Book reviews
- Annotated bibliographies
- Documented informed commentaries
- Iowa Junior Academy of Science invited research manuscripts
Reviewers of Science Research Manuscripts
- Receive manuscripts and work with the Editor and Associate Editor.
- Review manuscripts for science content.
- Reviewers read manuscripts in their area(s) of expertise.
- Manuscripts are expected to be reviewed in 30 days.
- Reviewers may accept or decline reviewing a manuscript.
- To volunteer as a reviewer please submit your CV to the Academy for consideration using the form below.
Associate Editors for Scientific Disciplines
- Receive manuscripts submitted for peer review from the Editor.
- Assist the Editor in selecting reviewers from the Academy reviewer volunteers.
- Work with reviewers and the Editor to have manuscripts reviewed in a timely fashion.
- Make recommendations to the Editor to accept or reject manuscripts.
Reviewers of ISTS Science Teaching Manuscripts
- Work with the Journal Editor, Managing Editor, and the Iowa Science Teaching Section leadership to review science teaching submissions.
- Additional description to be added.
Editors and Reviewers of Other Articles
Work with the Journal Editor and Managing Editor to review submissions of general interest, annotated biographies, documented informed commentaries, book reviews, and Iowa Junior Academy of Science invited research manuscripts.
Additional description to be added.
The Academy is seeking to build a sufficiently large group of reviewers to keep the workload light. Reviewers may decline a manuscript for review if it conflicts with their schedule.