Myrle Burk Scholarship Application
This application must be submitted by midnight on the last Friday in March. Scholarships are announced at or before the Iowa Academy of Science Annual Meeting in late April. Scholarships are paid by check in August to awardees account at their college or university. If you prefer to apply by mail please use the mail-in form.
- Currently enrolled in a college or university. Preference will be given to students enrolled on a full-time basis. Applicants enrolled on a part-time basis should explain their circumstances in their application letter.
- Currently enrolled in a college or university in Iowa, OR, if enrolled at a university outside of Iowa, a resident of the State of Iowa.
- Have an overall grade point (4.0) scale of at least:
- 3.0 if currently an undergraduate student.
- 3.5 on all graduate coursework if currently a graduate student.
The following materials must be submitted to the Iowa Academy of Science for this application to be complete:
STEP 1: Submit the online Myrle Burk Scholarship Application Form (see below) including a signed letter from the applicant addressed to the chair of the selection committee. This form must be submitted by the application deadline.
Letter from the applicant:
- The letter should describe all activities or projects the applicant has undertaken showing interest in ornithology such as summer jobs, student projects, internships, and involvement with bird groups, etc.
- The letter may be conveniently uploaded as a PDF when submitting the online Myrle Burk Scholarship Application Form. If mailed it must be received by the IAS office by the application deadline.
STEP 2: One letter of support is required from a faculty member or someone else who knows you well and is able to attest to your work in ornithology. It should be submitted to the Iowa Academy of Science as a PDF using the Letter of Support Upload Form by the application deadline. If letters are mailed they must be received by the IAS office by the application deadline.
STEP 3: A copy of your official transcript showing all of your college/university coursework mailed to the IAS office by your current institution. It must be received at the IAS office by application deadline.
All three steps must be finished for your application to be complete.
STEP 1: Myrle Burk Scholarship Application
STEP 2: Letter of Support
Letters of support should be sent to the Iowa Academy of Science office using this form.
STEP 3: Transcript from the applicant's current institution
Please request your current institution mail your transcript to the Iowa Academy of Science office in time to be received by the application deadline.
Contact the Academy
Myrle Burk Scholarship
Iowa Academy of Science
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0508